Thursday, January 24, 2013

Free Saturday!!

It is a rare gift when I have a Saturday free. This past Saturday was one of those wonderful gifts.

Friday night, I was overwhelmed with possibilities. What would I do? It was Friday night, and I didn't have to go to the Bronx or Brooklyn at stupid early in the morning time!!!!!!! The possibilities were endless. On Friday night, I ended up staying in and watching "Arrest Development." It was too much to go out and do something. I had to ease into my new found freedom.

Saturday morning I slept in, and had breakfast prepared for me by Katie and Josh. They made French toast and coffee. It was wonderful! In the afternoon, Vanessa, a new volunteer living in Menno House, and I went to Chinatown. We didn't really have any set plans. Just to hang out.

It was a gorgeous day. We ended up discovering a park where people were practicing some self-defense/fitness activity thing. Obviously I'm very knowledgeable in Asian fitness...There was also a local band playing Chinese folk songs. It looked like they did that every so often, and weren't looking for donations. Instead, they were just hanging out, having a great time, and playing requests. There was also a pick-up soccer game that we watched for a bit. It was so fun!

We then meandered around looking for some lunch. We stumbled upon this little hole-in-the-wall place called "Fried Dumpling." They sold fried dumplings. Surprising. They were in some contest for best food in Chinatown. They definitely had our vote! Our dumplings were DELICIOUS!! The menu was literally just dumplings, and they made them well. We were also amazed at the price: 5 dumplings for $1. Amazing.

We meandered around some more sampling various foods, window shopping, and taking in the sights and smells. I can tell you from first hand experience, the fish markets are VERY fresh. Like fish flopping around on the ground fresh. Yikes! We ended the day with half off bubble tea. A great way to spend the free Saturday!

On Sunday, I woke up, and did some Yoga. It was wonderful. Vanessa, Will and I left for the Brooklyn Museum around 1 in the afternoon. We wanted to catch part of a Martin Luther King Celebration hosted by WNYC, an NPR member station. It was great! They had three performers acting out excerpts from A. Peter Bailey's play, "Martin, Malcolm, and Medgar: A Reunion." The playwright explores what these slain civil rights activists would say about today's societal problems. They also had two moderators, and a four-person panel to discuss civil rights in today's society. I felt like I was in Convo again!

We spent the evening watching Argo, an Oscar-nominated best picture. It was good. I would highly recommend it. Thanks to my supervisors at CFY, and my aunt Connie, and I had enough money in gift cards to pay for me, and three friends. Yay! Tickets are $13.50. Not cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment