Thursday, August 30, 2012

CFY = Cooky Family (Yo)unit?

*Disclaimer. CFY actually doesn't stand for anything. It just is CFY, and it is the agency where I spend 42.5 hours of my week every week. Also, I realize kooky is actually spelled with a "K", and unit doesn't actually start with a "Y", but work with me. I can say some lofty thing about how each member of the team of CFY-NYC is very important, yet we all work work together for a common goal. Therefore there is a (yo)u in unit.  Also, the cuckoo bird is cooky, and it makes sense that the noun and adjective begin with the same letter.

I started work on Monday morning at 10 am. I found my placement on Sunday with the hope that I wouldn't get lost on my way to work the next day. Those of you who know me well are guessing that is unavoidable, and in fact expect me to get lost the first day. As is my nature, I met expectations on Monday. I can proudly say that while I took several wrong turns, I was able to logic my way back, and arrived at work on time (only because I allotted an hour for a half hour commute...). Success!

My work is in a 25 story building on 8th Ave in the main drag of NYC. I took the subway to work. Next week I'm hoping to walk, so that I can get some exercise in my day. When I finally made it to work, I was greeted by the security guard who is keeper of the elevators. Actually, greeted is too kind of a word... acknowledged is more like it. I had my picture taken while standing a yard away from the security guard, and then was allowed to get on the elevator.

CFY offices are on the 10th floor of the building. I walked in, and was warmly greeted by the Office Manager Melissa. I introduced myself, and she bubbled over expressing her joy to finally meet me. Ok. That might have been a bit of an exaggeration, but it would not be an exaggeration to say the mood of the office was ecstatic that I was finally here. My supervisor, Jasmin, told me, "We've been waiting for you...I'm so excited to be a team of two instead of a team of one!"

Jasmin introduced me individually to each member of the office, and everyone was happy to meet me, and welcome me to CFY. I was happy to feel so warmly received, and that the walls were painted bright red and orange, and that there were red couches to sit on if you needed to get off your desk :)

The first day was information overload. I found out a bit more about what I am expected to do, and tried to match faces to names. I've gathered that I am responsible for maintaining current relationships with community volunteers, and ensuring their continued participation in our programming, as well as recruiting more volunteers from faith-based organizations. It's a pretty tall older; I am replacing four volunteer coordinators.

Tuesday (one day later) I left for a two night retreat with my co-workers. I felt a bit weird about it, since I literally met these people yesterday, and here I was spending three days with them. However, my anxiety was not needed. I was warmly welcomed to the team, and even made some friends with my colleagues.

We left Tuesday morning by charter bus to West Cornwall, Connecticut. Here's a link to the place we stayed for those of you that want to take a closer look: http://center.trinitywallstreet.org/index.php. The grounds were beautiful. Everything was green; there were trees everywhere. For a Kansas girl, this was a rare treat! I think my favorite part of the place (besides caring the same brand of tea that Mojo's does!!!) was the classical music which was always played inside. I felt like Miss Elizabeth Bennet viewing Dracy's expansive grounds while sipping a cup of tea, minus any romantic inklings.

My biggest take-away from the retreat was how supportive, caring, respectful, and fun-loving the staff at CFY are. We were asked to bring an object that tells a story to share with the group on the first night. I was expecting people to bring a drawing their three-year-old niece drew for them, and say a shallow story about how they like baking chocolate-chip cookies with their niece. That was what I was emotionally prepared for. Oh ho ye of little faith! 

While some did share on that level, most shared a much more personal story. We heard stories about a childhood filled with parents abusing alcohol and drugs, having a life threatened while walking home on a Saturday night, being the first to graduate from college in the family while living in a rough neighborhood, the list goes on. I was so impressed by the level of vulnerability everyone was willing to put themselves in, and by how warmly their story was received.

On the last day, we did "A Walk of Joy." This meant everyone had to line up in two lines, and one person would walk down the middle with their eyes closed while being guided by another staff member. While walking, co-workers would whisper expressions of gratitude in their ears. I thought a few people would say something to me since I have only been here for four days. Oh ho ye of little faith! Most everyone thanked me for coming, for selflessly volunteering a year of my life for service, for jumping straight into CFY, and for being open and vulnerable enough to participate in all the activities. You can imagine how inspiring, strange, and humbling an experience it would be to walk, eyes closed, down a path of people you met two days ago, and have 35 people thank you for your presence, your open-mindedness, and your support. Pretty powerful.

I'm home now, and have a four day weekend to do with as I please! Suggestions on how to spend labor day in NYC?

In other news, you learn a lot about your co-workers, and the way their minds work after playing a rousing game of Balderdash!

No comments:

Post a Comment