Wednesday, December 19, 2012

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

I apologize for the delay in posting. I fly out tomorrow to celebrate Christmas with the Schrags, and am so excited! Before I spend Christmas in Kansas, I want to give you all an update on Christmas in NYC.

Christmas started November 1st. No one is surprised by this. It seems to be the norm across the country.

CFY has kept me busy through the holiday season. Sometimes I feel like I barely have a minute to remember it's Christmas! Then I walk past Macy's, and I am quickly reminded it's the holiday season.

Katie and I started the holiday season with the intention of seeing the Rockefeller tree lighting ceremony. Big mistake. We weren't really moving quickly that night, and knew we were going to miss most of the ceremony. "No big deal," We thought. "The tree will be lit by the time we get there, and the crowds will be gone." HA! Wrong. The tree was lit alright, but getting off the subway at Rockefeller Center proved to be much more difficult than anticipated. Once we got out to the street, we were like salmon swimming up streaming against a sea of people coming from the tree. All entrances were blocked by police. The tree was closed. We missed it.

Later we went during the day to see it. It was a tree with lights on it. The end.

The first Sunday in Advent, Sara, Katie, Will and I went ice skating at Citi Pond in Brayant Park with the Yoders, a family from church. They  traditionally take the volunteers ice skating every year. It had been awhile since I was on the rink. I fell a couple of times, but it was nothing compared to Will. He took out a child on his way down! See pictures below for the fun times :)

Menno House on skates!


Will about to fall down. Again.
To be fair, this was his first time skating, and he's from Zimbabwe...

Manhattan Mennonite Church had a Lessons and Carols service and Christmas potluck on Sunday. I sang in the choir. It was a great time!

Last night, Menno House had their Christmas party. Laura and I made Spinch-Goat cheese tartlets and Cajun Meatballs. We also had Jovon's famous pizza, Sara's Grandma's notorious Jello Salad, and Leah's stuffed mushrooms. Yum!!

We did a gift exchange. I was lucky enough to get Leah's, "Leah Singz Kitty Krismas." A collection of holiday favorites featuring Leah Zombie Kitty meowing along. Haha! So great :)

I'm looking forward to continuing the holiday celebration at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment